One of our readers recently asked: How do you make habits stick? Or you might be thinking…
Are you kidding me? How can I accomplish that with all that is going on in my home?
Yes, we are a website devoted to Habits for a Happy Home. For me, over the years with babies, toddlers, stacks of school books, hungry mouths and now towering teens, these are the basic routes I’ve discovered for seeing results in building habits. The habits for building habits, if you will:
1. Pray – it is amazing how often I try to do things in my own power. Please friends, remember to turn to the source of strength. Ask. Bring it all – everything – to Him.
2. Just Pick One Habit to Build – Chief habit builder, Flylady, works on one habit a month. Just adding one habit per month beats the overwhelm and makes it doable. Baby steps, as she says. Check out Flylady’s August habit, It hits home – Laundry!
3. Think practically. Be easy on yourself. Pick a habit that works into your day. Something you already do:
- Prayer? Here’s how I learned to make it a habit, all day long, with a passel of children: Practical Prayer
- Food? For me I decided to double up while I was making a mess anyway. I built a habit, most days, of: Making Supper at Lunch.
- Homeschooling? Has the morning resulted in a disheveled room OR just how in the world can we accomplish it all? We can feel accomplished and do: One More Thing After Lunch.
Well, a coffee drink always helps motivate me too. How about you?